Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Train smart for competition

It happens all the time when training for an event as demanding as the spartan races, I push myself so hard in training that I’m injured, completely burnt out or both by the time it comes to the actual competition. To prepare for the spartan sprint race in Tuxedo I didn’t alter my normal training regimen and was pretty pleased with my results. But thats not going to fly this september in staten island, I’m going to need what I brought to Tuxdedo......and then some. I’ve really been pushing myself these last few weeks to increase my endurance, the fantasy of coming even close to Hobie drives me through each intense workout. I often think.... what’s Hobie doing? what does this one say about nutrition? What about this fitness guru, what’s he saying? There’s no question that there’s useful information out there but adhering to someone else’s training program to the letter is somewhat akin to taking someone’s meds because you have similar symptoms. I believe that when it comes to preparing for events such as these, an eclectic approach is best. You are your best coach, listening closely to the cues your body is giving you. For me this means recovery time is as important as intensive training time. I have a bad habit of trying to train through an injury, or rather not altering my training appropriately when injured. Sometimes I’ll almost unconsciously target the area of my body that’s injured (maybe I should discuss that one in therapy). I’m really attempting a different approach this time.......more rest, better nutrition, smarter training. I will keep you posted on my (hopefully uninjured) status.

No comments:

Post a Comment